Pages

Monday, April 4

View from the snug window – Monday morning!

 

001

Says it all really! Just making sure there isn’t an inch of wallpaper on the walls ready for the plasterer coming on Friday. I only have today, tomorrow and Tuesday as we are in the Lakes on Wednesday re Jon’s business. The window is a nasty piece of work as it would seem gloss paint has been applied over old paper – so this is taking quite a bit of elbow grease to shift – but I’m on the case.

Had a lovely day out yesterday with MIL – went to local for a carvery – delicious, just a shame we had to share a restaurant with the family from Hell! We are ruined really I guess as I always cook for the family. Our nephews absolutely LOVE cooked dinners and woof up all vegetables prepared for them – a joy to cook for really, but yesterday we witnessed children who were not use to eating vegetables and were not going to either – so why insist they eat them when out in public I ask? The tantrums, screams and shouting followed and I am sorry but in a public place ignoring such behaviour doesn’t wash with me. As a child mum would never bring attention to any bad behaviour – no she would speak very quietly, very directed, very much into my face and utter the words I dreaded…”Wait till you get home!” Yes – oh yes, how I feared those words. Still my MIL enjoyed herself which is all that matters. Next year however I notice Mothers Day is near her birthday again so we will be here – peace and quiet!

Right – back to work!

12 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing it finished - it will be fantastic. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to get exactly the same reaction from my mum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother never had to say a word - just 'that look' was enough to strike terror in me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I have gotten to the point where I will speak to the manager. We all have the right to a nice lunch and not sharing space with bad behavior.
    I am not sure what my Mum did but we never acted up in public. Manners are/were taught at home.

    Good luck on the window !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame you had your meal interrupted by those children. I have always encouraged the children to enjoy meals out, would never dream of turning it into a battlefield, and would certainly not tolerate tantrums at the table, shame for everyone, children included.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frieda looks so sad in that bare room! (down below) (as in further down your blog not female terminology for, well, down below).

    Glad you had a good meal but shame about the family from hell. I'm sure your home-cooked food would be much better anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember those words well, as well as 'Wait till I tell your father'. Hope the family from Hell didn't spoil your time out together and that you managed to enjoy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with all the elbow grease needed Denise. Sent the card you gave me to a friend this weekend for her 80th birthday - she was thrilled with it (the one with the Keats quotation on.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Removing every speck of wallpaper from the walls is my job too. Strange how men do not seem to know what elbow grease is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pane! (couldn't resist). Nice that you have a little break coming up - incentive to get the job done! Now you'll just need to get plastered ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never misbehaved in public, not out of fear of what would happen, that wasn't the way I was raised, but I never had cause to I suppose. My own sons were the same, they could be taken anywhere and everywhere, and were, without fear of being shown up. I think there is nothing worse than screaming brats, be it in a shop or restaurant, or just walking past the house. I too, would complain to the manager of a restaurant if I was trying to enjoy a pleasant meal and had to put up with such behaviour. We don't complain enough and so have only ourselves to blame when things carry on that we disapprove of in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the card you sent. It is really lovely. What a nice surprise to come home to!

    You are working hard on your home. It'll be great when it is finished - in every sense : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.