Tuesday, September 15

My World.......thanks to so many!

Posted by Picasa

Whilst we were staying with Dorothy we visited Oradour, a small village not far from St. Christophe. It is a village which was brought to the ground in 1944.

Around 2 p.m. on 10 June 1944, four days after the Allied invasion of Normandy, approximately 150 Waffen-SS soldiers entered the tranquil village of Oradour-sur-Glane in the Limosin region of south central France. For no apparent reason, Hitler's elite troops destroyed every building in this peaceful village and brutally murdered a total of 642 innocent men, women and children, an unexplained tragedy which has gone down in history as one of the worst war crimes committed by the German army in World War II. On that beautiful Summer day, the defenseless inhabitants of Oradour-sur-Glane were rudely dragged out of their homes, including the sick and the elderly, and ordered to assemble on the Fairgrounds on the pretext of checking their identity papers. After all had been assembled, they were forced to wait in suspense with machine guns pointed at them. Then the women were separated from the men and marched a short distance to the small Catholic Church, carrying infants in their arms or pushing them in baby carriages. The men were then ordered to line up in three rows and face a wall that bordered on the Fairgrounds. A short time later, they were randomly divided into groups and herded into six buildings: barns, garages, a smithy, and a wine storehouse. Around 4 p.m., a loud explosion was heard which was interpreted by the men to be a signal for the SS soldiers to begin firing their machine guns. Most of the men were wounded in the legs and then burned alive when every building in the village was set on fire at around 5 p.m. By some miracle, 6 of the men managed to escape from one of the burning barns and 5 of them survived. They testified in court about this completely unjustified German barbarity against blameless French civilians. The Oradour church only had a seating capacity of 350 persons, but 245 frightened women and 207 sobbing children were forced inside at gunpoint while the men were still sitting on the grass of the Fairgrounds, awaiting their fate. The women and children were locked inside the church while the SS soldiers systematically looted all the homes in this prosperous farming village. Then around 4 p.m. a couple of SS soldiers carried a gas bomb inside this holy place and set it off, filling the church with a cloud of noxious black smoke. Their intention had been to asphyxiate the women and children in the House of God, but their plan failed. As the women and children pressed against the doors, trying to escape and struggling to breathe, SS soldiers then entered the crowded, smoke-filled church and fired hundreds of shots at the hapless victims, while other SS men stood outside ready to machine-gun anyone who attempted to escape. The soldiers fired low inside the church in order to hit the small children. Babies in their prams were blown up by hand grenades, filled with gas, that were tossed into the church. Then brushwood and straw was carried into the stone church and piled on top of the writhing bodies of those that were not yet dead. The church was then set on fire, burning alive the women and babies who had only been wounded by the shots and the grenades. The clamour coming from the church could be heard for a distance of two kilometers, according the Bishop's office report. The fire inside the church was so intense that the flames leaped up into the bell tower; the bronze church bells melted from the heat of the flames and fell down onto the floor of the church. One SS soldier was accidentally killed by falling debris when the roof of the church steeple collapsed. Only one woman, a 47-year-old grandmother, escaped from the church. Taking advantage of a cloud of smoke, she hid behind the main altar where she found a ladder that had been left there for the purpose of lighting the candles on the altar. Madame Marguerite Rouffanche, the lone survivor of the massacre in the church, managed to escape by using the ladder to climb up to a broken window behind the altar, then leaping out of the window, which was 9 feet from the ground. Although hit by machine gun fire and wounded 4 times in the legs and once in the shoulder, she was able to crawl to the garden behind the presbytery where she hid among the rows of peas until she was rescued, 24 hours later, at 5 p.m. the next day, and taken to the hospital in Limoges where she was admitted under an assumed name. It took a full year for her to recover from her wounds. In 1953, she testified before a French military tribunal in Bordeaux about the massacre of the women and children in the church.

We were speechless as we gazed at the destroyed living testament to the devestation which had fallen upon this community. It made me think of where my world would have been were it not for the sacrifices of those who fought during the world wars. A few days later we travelled to Belguim and saw the lines of the graves of the fallen. Sombre indeed but a reminder of just how many fought for our freedom!

Posted by Picasa

I am joining in a Monday themed poetry project

Here is my poem, based on what I saw at Oradour!

A Village......

Alone against the demons of destruction,
within the ranks of perecution
the officers bringing a solution
when they acted as a pollution,
to the purity of the people
who were helpless and weak.....
when death did them seek
and put an end to their lives.

They marched as an aliance,
with heavy boots of defiance
and crushed hopes of any life
due to struggles and strife...
of power!

You can see here what it is about!

For more My Worlds to ponder visit here


  1. Very interesting post. It struck home to me, as I had an Uncle who died in France just 2 days after he made it ashore after landing at Omaha Beach. I don't remember the name of the town, but my brother has all of that information written down. Someday I hope to visit.

  2. A very sad story and I am sure it was just one of many that were done.

    I think it is hard for us to understand how anyone could be this way. And yet terrorists in this day and age would still like to do these types of things to those who they think deserve to have this done to them because their beliefs are different than their beliefs.

    One can only wonder when will it all stop. So we pray and pray that someday it will. And the guilt the survivors have to live with must be terrible.

    So we have to be forever vigilant to try and prevent these kinds of things from ever happening again. We can never rest, we must always watch and listen, we must do our best to protect, we are the warriors of protection and love. Pray every day for our success and the success of every one of us. May God and his Angels keep watch over us.

    God bless.

  3. Mrs Nesbitt I've found you ,Huzzah! I love that poignant photo of the car.From the words of your poem you were obviously very moved by your trip to Oradour. A chilling vignette of man's inhumanity to man,an inhumanity that existed long before WW2 and that pervades still in many parts of this modern world.Those who are free from it are blessed indeed.Thanks a million for joining in Mrs N-we know where you are now for next week!

  4. What a compelling post. Such a horrific event to have taken place, sadly by fellow human beings. It is so hard to comprehend that one can be so heartless and cold blooded.
    Thank you for the reminder that we do need to be watchful of what goes on around us so that this can never happen again.

  5. Horrific is the right word to describe the actions of Hiter's regime! Unfortunately there are still despots in this world with the same disregard for human life. Great post!


Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.