Pages

Thursday, May 24

Guess what?

I know this will come as a surprise......but the rehomed hens now have a new home! 




They will LOVE it here! 


 
Heaven!

A safe enclosed secure garden



and a lovely house.



My friend Julie called round last Friday. I was showing her the hens when she told me she had always wanted to keep chickens. It just seemed it was meant to be!
Alice, the orange hen is very much in charge of the other two - Isabella ( now Bella) and Sophia - (now Doris). I had noticed Alice being quite protective and getting rather confident with my own hens - who in all fairness were doing well in sharing the garden with them. We have one third of an acre so there was always room for both sets of hens - but from time to time there would be squabbles.
I hadn't been aware of Bella and Doris having a weak leg problem - a change of diet and better environment was improving their conditions but nevertheless I did not want them to be threatened or unnecessarily challenged. We go away next week - so the care of all the hens will be down to my neighbours and I can't expect them to give the hens the attention they need in this transitional period. Whilst I knew all would be OK when Julie said that she wanted some chickens we both felt the best place for the new girls would be her garden.

Julie spent the weekend preparing the shed for them and buying the necessary stuff that goes with keeping chickens. 

On Tuesday evening I took the girls round and we settled them into their new home.
On Wednesday Julie called me to say they were enjoying the garden - so I went round and took the photographs.

From the state of the inside of the shed we could see where they had been nesting and were enjoying the garden. The tortoise was following them round and at one point all had been sunbathing!

As a true animal lover I knew the decision was best for the hens - all of them. Mine are now back to normal and the re homed ones are now in such a lovely lovely place, so much better than their original run at my sister in laws. Their egg production had increased whilst they were here so I know they are happy and content.

Keeping hens brings its rewards and now Julie is experiencing the same -  a joy shared is a joy doubled!

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea and everyone looks very happy.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy hens lay lovely eggs so you all have treats to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to add... if your friend can get a photo of her tortoise and the hens together that would be much appreciated.
    How cute would that be.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AP - certainly will! I'll be popping over to see them soon - camera too!

      Delete
  4. Aww, you're a good egg, Denise.

    Looking forward to next week..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that the problem has been solved!
    If circumstances were different, I would definitely be keeping hens!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great feeling to know they have gone to such a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know I keep hens - have just ordered another dozen as I'm now down to just 29. They're quite intelligent creatures and aren't given the credit they deserve. Though I hear many stories of people living on housing estates who think it's easy to keep a few hens at the bottom of their garden, only to find their house becomes infested with mice and rats. There is definitely a place to keep hens, and an art.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.