Pages

Thursday, January 14

Scotch Eggs

One of my favourite food programmes is The Hairy Bikers
I love programmes which inspire me to try something different.
Yesterday I made scotch eggs,






Here are the scotch eggs ready for frying.



And here is the complete meal!
Too much really. I left the chips and sweetcorn, but the scotch egg was awesome.
Jon said it was the best scotch egg he had ever had! Bless!

Ingredients
8 free-range eggs
500g/17½oz pork sausage meat
1 tsp dried sage
½ tsp dried thyme
pinch cayenne pepper
½tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp plain flour
125g/4½oz fresh white breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for deep frying

Method
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook six of the eggs for 4-5 minutes until they are medium- to hard-boiled. Drain and run under cold water until cooled (this will prevent the yolks from discolouring). Peel and set aside. Beat the remaining two eggs together in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix together the sausage meat, sage, thyme, cayenne pepper and freshly ground black pepper until well combined.
3. Divide the sausage mixture evenly into six portions. Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten out to form a thin patty. Wrap each patty around the peeled boiled eggs, smoothing out the join and making sure there is no egg left exposed.
4. Roll the scotch eggs in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg and roll in the fresh breadcrumbs. Dip the coated eggs once more in the egg, then again in the breadcrumbs.
5. Half-fill a deep, heavy-based pan with the vegetable oil and heat Fry the scotch eggs in small batches for 4-5 minutes, turning the eggs occasionally, or until golden-brown all over and cooked through. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
6. Serve the scotch eggs immediately, sliced in half to reveal the soft yolk.

11 comments:

  1. I love the Hairy Bikers too! Sadly, I don't love scotch eggs, so I'll give this recipe a miss, although I am sure it is far superior to any ready-made variety you might find on offer on the supermarket shelf.

    (I did try your Welsh rarebit though, and very tasty it was indeed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Thanks Shrinky! Yes far more superior indeed, a lot of faffing about but well worth it for Jon to say the best ever! Welsh Rarebit has been a big favourite throughout the winter holiday here! Especially with a dash of lee&perrins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lord, don't start showing off with your home made scotch eggs and your yummee chips when you know full well I am living on a bomb site existing on pot noodles :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the hairy bikers toom, Denise - I thought the scotch eggs looked terrific. My idea is to try bananas wrapped in streaky bacon - I will let you know what they taste like, it sounds such an odd combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kath, do you want me to send a food parcel hun? lol!

    Weaver - yes that did sound a bizarre but obviously popular combination. Do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those home made scotch eggs look so delicious mmm! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eee - I love those Hairy Bakers too! Good, proper, honest foood but often far too meaty for a namby pamby vegetarian like me LOL!! Your scotch eggs looked a triumph. Congratulations & high praise from Jon indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw them make those too and I think I will give them a go. I think Ive always been put off Scotch eggs as like alot of us we have probably only had the day-glo orange dry ones from the supermarket, but freshly made they look yummy. I made their rum and raisin pannacotta after watching one of their programmes just before xmas.....it was very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I really miss English cooking. I haven't had Scotch eggs in years. I LOVE eggs, too, but now I find I can't eat them. But give me good old British chips! -- and the fish of course. But we never get chips like those in England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent effort, you've certainly cracked the Scotch egg. Unfortunately, being force fed them on dawn drives to Dorset as a child (to beat the traffic....)have left their scar. However, Welsh rarebit is definately in the top 10. It was the only thing I could eat after last years's heart break and I lost 10lbs....always a silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never seem to catch the Hairy Bikers (so to speak) but when I do I like them. The scotch eggs look yummy.

    Nice site. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I like the sound of the ABC project here and may well take part. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.