When we have friends round I do not like to be stuck in the kitchen at any part of the evening, I like to be amongst my friends having fun!
I tend not to do fiddly food but more of the "Help Yourself" type of dishes.
Paella is a great way to use up any fish, sausage or chicken from the fridge.
Ingrediants are not cast in stone just a great one to cook in advance and eat with bread!
120 ml (8 tbsp) oil
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
275 g (10 oz) long-grain rice
salt and freshly ground pepper
600 ml (1 pt) chicken stock
1 red pepper, seeded
1 green pepper, seeded
225 g (8 oz) white fish, boned
150 ml (1/4 pt) white wine
1 bay leaf
4 - 8 chicken pieces
100 g (4 oz) peeled prawns
Left over spicy sausage
7 g (1 tbsp) parsley, chopped
1.Heat three quarters of the oil in a large frying pan or casserole.
2. Over a low heat cook the onions until they become translucent. Add the garlic.
3. Gradually add the rice and stir around in the onions and oil until the grains are coated with oil.
4. Add seasoning and turmeric to the hot stock and pour on the rice gradually, stirring as the rice is brought to the boil. Cover with a lid or with foil, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile dice the green and red peppers and blanch for 1 minute in boiling water.
6. Poach the white fish in water with a little of the wine and the bay leaf for about 5 minutes.
7. Fry the chicken in another pan in the remaining oil until golden brown and cooked through.
8. Remove the lid from the rice and separate the grains with a fork. Stirring gently, add the peppers, the white fish, prawns, about 150 ml (1/4 pt) fish stock and then add the chicken and stir in sliced spicy sausage.
Cover and cook until rice is separate and liquid is absorbed.
Gee, am I first to comment? This looks delicious and I remember that my mother used to cook it occasionally after having had it in Spain. It's a very complicated dish, but worth making!ReplyDelete
Thanks Leslie - once you have all the ingrediants in it is a sinch really - I try to keep it simple, just like me! lol!ReplyDelete
That's the way I like to entertain too. I am not the fiddly kind at all. I usually set things buffet style and everyone takes just what they want. Your recipe sounds delish... wish my Hubby liked fish. This is the type of thing I order in restaurants so I can get my fix.ReplyDelete
I say it every week - send me some round! (One day, eh?)ReplyDelete
Another delicious post! What a great way to entertain! I love it! Hope you have a wonderful week, Denise!ReplyDelete
I think I must go to Spain again :-)ReplyDelete
What a coincidence! Yesterday I saw two separate episodes on making paella! Now I really have the urge to eat some! LOLReplyDelete
I like your philosophy about the meal and guests. ROG, ABC Wednesday teamReplyDelete
I love paella! and we eat rice daily.ReplyDelete
Looks tasty as can be!ReplyDelete
It looks wonderful, and know it must taste just as good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.ReplyDelete
Oh, it does look nice! I think I've had a sort of paella made with prawns, but I can't eat much fish - I'm allergic to most of them!ReplyDelete
Oh my this is so yummy and I missed this dish. Thanks for dropping by at my site I do appreciate it much.ReplyDelete
Delicious! Thanks for sharing :)ReplyDelete
That looks yummy!ReplyDelete
I love paella and will enjoy having a go at making this, it looks delicious. AReplyDelete
I swear I can smell it cooking! YUM!!ReplyDelete
That paella looks delish. I wish i can grab and smell it.ReplyDelete
Extra squid for me please! XXReplyDelete
I have never had paella - sounds like a recipe I will have to try!ReplyDelete
Great P post
At the Australian masterchef, they had paella. I have never eaten or cooked this, looks more delicious than just plain steamed rice.ReplyDelete
I missed the Wednesday P, but p for Polling Day can be my contribution.ReplyDelete
round 6 year 3 is impressing
That looks scrum! Cud I eet that by paw? Yu noe, no spoon?ReplyDelete
Happy Mother's Day,my friend!ReplyDelete
You look BEAUTIFUL, then and NOW!
You are such a wonderful friend and MOTHER!
May this Mother's Day be one of the best with more to come in years!
YOU ROCK, MOMMY!