Pages

Sunday, February 19

World Wide Web Stuff.

A good sign that I have been busy is the fact that I have not blogged since the wedding report from last weekend. I have been on some lovely walks, been pottering at home and yesterday we even managed a tootle over the moors on the motorbike. Today however, the weather is not so favourable so after getting all my household chores out of the way I decided to update my other blog.

I don't have a website at the moment and really am just considering if it is worth the money. I have had a website in the past, but there was a problem with the timing of the domain name - which for some strange reason ended up as a blog of no real commercial focus. A website is a pressence in the Big wide world web....but a blog has the same function surely? A blog is something I can manage and changes quickly, a website is not so easy - for me anyway. Whilst I am sure I could eventually work my way round a website I question if the time and effort is worth it. With social networking sites out there I feel a mixture of my blog and facebook would be sufficient to let people know what I can do and where I can be contacted. My customers tend to be local in anycase. Many of my previous customers are on Facebook and are my friends - all endorse my work so I think I am doing enough to market my work. At the end of the day it is a profitable, thoroughly enjoyable hobby.

Any thoughts?

16 comments:

  1. The idea of setting up a website goes right over my head Denise, so I really have no thoughts. Walking back up the lane a while ago I wondered if you two were out and about on your bike today - it is lovely here. Do please call in and see us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were out for a short time yesterday Pat - today WAS too cold - now it has warmed up slightly. Yes we were only talking about coming over - will call you next weekend if the weather suits. Dxx

      Delete
  2. You're probably right. No point in giving yourself extra work and stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know Shirley Davis from the Bristol area? She's into making and selling cards, too, and has a blog. http://www.blogger.com/profile/05839867041966689701
    Check it out and think about emailing her for her thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie - will do. Just had a quick look over on her blog and see there is a craft fayre in Harrogate!!! Wayhey! sounds a good day!

      Delete
  4. I've pondered having a website on several occasions and really don't know if it's worth the hassle. As you say a blog and facebook and possibly twitter could well be enough (facebook and twitter I have yet to explore!) I started my blog to kind of showcase what I make but it's got caught up with more of everyday life too, best of both?? I've read lots of blogs where they combine the two (home and business)and seem to do very well from it. I've sometimes wondered about a co-operative website for like minded crafty peeps but even that I could see leading to problems unless you have a dedicated web person. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a blog is a great place to collate everything and maybe link to Etsy etc (Suzy at Rustic Country is a great example of that) Make life easy! Really like your header photo and also your wedding pieces are gorgeous too! Emailed you but bounced back x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace - have sent you another e-mail to try.
      Dx

      Delete
  6. I tried a website last year and someone kindly offered to help - for a fee. But I didn't go ahead with it. Like you say, there are so many social networks now that having a separate website as well as blog, fb, twitter etc, just seems very time-consuming.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is lovely and I hope you decide to keep it. I couldn't manage a web site. No way.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to catch up with you, and just loved the wedding photos, I do love a good wedding! We have a website for our self-catering cottages and pottery, but I don't manage it, too complicated I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend Chewy manages to market and sell her art very profitablly on her FaceBook site, but for some curious reason, her blog rarely receives many enquiries. That said, she is also a graphic designer, and although she would have no trouble in crafting herself a complex, all bells and whistles dedicated website, she doesn't feel it would justify it's upkeep. Sounds like you are doing fine just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Using Blogger means that search engines will categorise your site as a blog as so wouldn't show up for commercial searchers. You could register your own domain and carry on using Blogger, although you'd probably be better of with Wordpress which is easy enough to use. It depends how important the web is to your business interests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that you have your website, which is static, and then have a blog that would be linked to it that would keep the content fresh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.