Pages

Sunday, January 13

When does a stash become a hoard?

DIY has started and we are now tackling upstairs. Today, Sunday - a very cold day, ideal for such projects saw Jon working on our bedroom. Modifying the fitted wardrobes so we can optimise the space available.....so stuff needs to be moved...from room....to room......to room!
Somwehere along the line everything seems to end up in one room...the spare bedroom.
Being a brave type ( nay foolish) whilst Jon was working away (and when I wasn't fetching/carrying/locating the tool he had mislaid - there were several!) I took the brave move of opening the spare room door.

Yes there is a fair amount of clearing out to be done......and it would seem I am on the case.
Having thought about it for so long, once I started the rest seemed to fit into place.

I have stashes/piles/heaps of projects and materials I have planned for........last year I started with all good intentions and sewing would seem to be the flavour of the month with me.......
.







but being realistic I know I lose patience with such matters. My flair has been with papercrafts and my wedding stationery is what I really adore and enjoy - and achieve good results too. I have paints which I SHOULD use but never seem to do so. I always enjoyed art but never seem to explore this wonderful medium anymore. I read blogs of people's sewing projects and I always feel inadequate and as though they are part of a little part of paradise I will never discover. Yet I know there are other areas of creativity and art which can bring enjoyment and what is more important to me, contentment so I am going to stop beating myself with the stick of inadequacy and accept we are all good in different areas.

I have stashes, piles nay HOARDS of materials well intended for greater things....I am going to spend time, as I sort, de-clutter and plan for the redecoration of the 3 bedrooms and new bathroom, organising the various treasures and then sell them at a craft fair.

Today I have sorted 2 huge bags of tat and rubbish to go to the tip tomorrow.
Yes DIY is back on track!

Watch this space!

 

14 comments:

  1. Oh I know how you feel - all those good intentions and then the niggling feeling that if you get rid of anything you will only need it a few days later! Be strong!!!! And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TW - it goes on for so so long and in the end....deep breath............................and release! x

      Delete

  2. I always want to do everything too ! but time space and tools can get one crazy.
    I think you should just stay with what your really love, paper.
    I an a huge paper fan and every time I visit Japan I come home with a suitcase of paper, cards, stationary, newsprint, fliers movie posters.....
    When my children travel with me they have a mantra... step away from the paper and no one will be hurt.... It is repeated through out the day.
    I think my art is fine but I always want to do more. One of my friends said to me once... I can't draw a stick figure to save my life or a straight line (she was telling the truth) so I love and saved every card and letter you have sent me. Let me tell you she has every degree in math and is a wizard with numbers, which am not ! Made my day.
    Long story to say.... I love your sewing and if it brings you joy, why not do it. Don't compare, I bet several of your friends even the sewing wizard, wish they could design your cards.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never good at art, sewing/crafts, etc. but I think I've finally found my niche in photography. I know I'm creative with words and now my goal is to do a book of photography along with prose for each picture. We all have our strengths and I've finally learned what mine is. Now you know yours, too, so just focus on that. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat a good clear out!

    I know what you mean, I have tried dozens of crafts over the years, but I always come back to sewing. I wish I could crochet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kath - you are a fantastic patchworker/sewer and see possibilities with every piece of fabric - I can do that....with paper. Need to get mack my "space" I think - once upstairs is sorted I will have my own creative haven! Like you - will make it appropriate yet adequate to my needs and surroundings. Planning on my materials fitting into a 4 drawer filing cabinet!!!!!

      Delete
  5. A stash becomes a hoard when you are unlikely to use it in a reasonable amount of time. What's "reasonable"? Depends on the item, but for me, usually a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Roger. When we come to sort out the loft that will be a real test - if we've lived without something for 3 year+ a definite trip to the charity shop I think!

      Delete
  6. I agree with everything you say, you can't be good at everything. Saying that though, you don't necessarily have to be good at something to enjoy doing it. I think we should do what we enjoy, but don't feel guilty for having a go at something otherwise how are we going to know where our true passion lies. Good luck with the decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lack patience Jo that's the problem. If something goes wrong during a card experiment/project I know what to do. Not so with a sewing issue. Knitting is another defeat! But as you say we dont have to be good at everything!

      Delete
  7. This post could have been written by me Denise - so join the club.
    Any snow over ther? We have about three inches but the sun has been out for the past hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think mine has become a hoard.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.