Pages

Friday, February 11

Reasons to be cheerful - 16, 17, 18 and a rant!

It is that time of the week again. I think over the past weeks I have realised I am a cheerful person and the reasons I have stated really should form part of a regular mantra. The three reasons I am stating this week are basic yet so central to my cheerfulness/contentment but really should NEVER be taken for granted.
16, I have good health.
17. I have good friends.
18. I have a good, loving family.

This week something happened which has really annoyed me. I am not one to rant yet as the days have passed I find myself thinking more and more about it. On Wednesday we had a visit from a firm of financial sdvisors, endorsed by my teaching union. We read the literature prior to his visit and were aware he would try and sell us something be it life insurance or investment suggestions - neither of which we intended using the firm for - we just wanted to know my entitlement/settlement details. I have life cover etc. Anyway I am rambling - he asked me if there was anything I intended to buy. I said I would like to buy some artwork. Art was ALWAYS my favourite subject to teach and I felt this would be a good momento of the 25 happy years I spent as a teacher. I also thought Mackenzie Thorpe would be an appropriate choice - he is a local artist and his work features the local Yorkshire Moors......however I think I just may go for a something by the amazing artist Jackie Morris - will share more later!


Well this chap was so against MY choice - he dismissed it straight away. Shortly after he left, saying he would return at a later date - well so he thought. We will NOT be setting up another meeting thank you VERY much and I WILL be buying some pictures THANK YOU very much!
The very nerve!





These will look lovely in our lounge and will be a wonderful reminder!

22 comments:

  1. Those are fascinating. The skies are so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wnderful pictures hwo could the IFA not think it a good idea or was it the whole idea of buynig art that he was so against???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE them!!
    Jane x
    Who was that twerp??

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very dare he!!!!

    I love your choice of art Denise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheeky beggar. Ignore him (I know you will), those are fab pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I love this artwork and I'm away to find out more. Mo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What interesting art work. Ignore the money chap - what do they know?! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how very dare indeed!

    go buy your Mackenzie Thorpe-i have always loved his work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Art is one thing where you have to make up your own mind Denise, what I like may not be what you like at all, but then you would not have to live with my choice, would you?

    I understand that William Hague likes Mackenzie Thorpe too, so you are in good company. Do let me know when you are coming through to look at his shop in Richmond.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are fun paintings. Salesmen on the other hand are never fun.

    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the art! And a pox on that nasty man! Art is an investment as well as a joy!!! AND what you do with your money is your choice.
    I wouldn't have been very nice to him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are wonderful! But you have to remember that financial advisors are cautious chappies. If they can't see a guaranteed return on your investments they will advise against.

    I remember both Lowry and Vettriano were dismissed as being of no merit by the art world, and look at the prices they command now! The bottom line - as ever - is do you like the artwork? If so, it's good enough reason to buy, because even if the value never increases you won't have lost anything -you'll have had the pleasure from it nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could go on a rant of my own about my most recent encounters with my (former) financial advisor. But I won't. Go with the art; it will make you happier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I have two of the three mentioned at the top of your posting... I wouldn't be without my friends, virtual and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never heard of Mackenzie Thorpe before but I'm impressed. Thankfully my IFA was the complete opposite to yours... encouraging and NOT trying to sell me anything. Just gave his advice and pointed me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so strange for anyone to question another's art interpretations, and I love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous pics. Art should never be looked at from a monetary perspective. If you buy what you love it will always make you feel richer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Golly what a cheek I'm surprised you didn't ask him to "bugger" off! LOL.
    The Chicken Daily

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you! Cripes, there's nothing more irksome than some stranger who "knows what's best" for you!

    And you have excellent taste in art, Mrs. Nesbitt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm cheerful because Denise Nesbitt is a peach of a person! There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fundamnetal reasons to be grateful and not to be overlooked. You are so right.

    Hope you have got your artwork by now.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.