Pages

Tuesday, February 8

Day to day life in the henhouse!

After my post last week I read so many comments from people saying they were looking forward to the update on the chicken situation - here is a brief resume.

Up until yesterday, Ernest and Mabel were in henhouse 2, a somewhat smaller residence than the former Goosehut (now Henhouse 1, but neverteless ideal for a couple.

Hens have very short memories and forget that Mabel was once one of the gang - so we have to watch for pecking order rituals.






The photograph above was taken on Sunday. I have been letting the hens out at different times and slowly introducing them to each other. Today is the first time they are all out together and as I type away I am aware that a drama is about to unfold!
Ernest is holding his own and is keeping the hens amused. There seems to be some friction between a few of the hens but I am hoping this sorts itself out. Whilst I have been quite in control of the situation my managing time in/out of the henhouses I know that sooner or later I am just going to have to let them be together and sort out any issues.
A couple of hours ago I was aware of quite a comotion in the paddock. Mabel was clucking very loudly, obviously wanting to be in Henhouse 1, on the shelf laying an egg. Unfortunately Eva had the same idea and was sitting quite happily on the shelf. Fast foreward a couple of hours and a few minutes ago I popped round to find Ernest and Mabel on shelf in Henhouse 1, sitting quite happily together. Henhouse door is open, so it will be interesting to see what develops over the next couple of hours!
Watch this space - I will keep you updated on any happenings!
More action can be discovered over on ABC Wednesday's blog!


30 comments:

  1. It sounds as though things are moving in the right direction - fingers crossed! (I can't see your photos,though! I suspect it's a problem this end . . . oh, joy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see the photos, either, Denise...but a fascinating little story/drama developing here!

    Leslie
    ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't see the photographs either, Denise, but love the drama of the henhouse. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see them either, but it seems as though you, or rather the hens, have been having daily dramatics - who'd have thought it!

    My letter D is quite downbeat by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does sound as though things have been busy in the hen house that's for sure! Can't see your pics either! Hope you and the hens have a great day!

    Sylvia
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK can you see the photo now? Have re-loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see it! Who knew chickens could be so dramatic? Loving this story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandfather raised chickens and loved them as pets. He would go outside and they would come running to him.

    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Update -
    Ernest & Mabel are now settling down for the night in Henhouse 2, remainder of the gals settling down in Henhouse 1!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Richie -yes mine do that! Eva is the one who is always first - next week, E for Eva! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. More delightful details from the henhouse, would make a lovely title for a comic flick!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a lot like a soap opera! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is better than eastenders anyday!!! Eggenders perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, ha - Eggenders - love it! What a drama! Hope it all works out OK :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah a day in the life of chicken folk. Watch out it might be like this song Who broke the lock (on the hen house door):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-b_zC1U5CM

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea that chickens could be so disagreeable with each other.
    Just like rabbits, really! Only they have much longer memories!
    Looking forward to the next instalment!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything I know about chickens, I learned here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. domestic drama, poultry division!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blimey, it's like Dallas, we'll soon be asking who shot Ernest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my Goodness.... This is quite a "Saga" developing...I will tune in for the next melodrama.

    BTW saw you were on my fb, but I had been off line... sorry, it would have been fun to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We await the next installment with bated breath. Who knew chickens could be such fun?
    -- K

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm clucking, I mean chuckling, at the developing dynamics of your feathered family. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really want to know what happens next. I can just see Ernest and his sweetheart sitting side by side on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's great that you're sharing your Chicken Drama, and it's wonderful to see people's comments. We have our own drama's here but it is great to read about what others experience.
    Sometimes life just seems to be all about chickens - I could watch them for hours :) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not unlike squabbling children really are they? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh what fun, the ongoing saga of the hen house. Are hens monogamous, or will Ernest be putting it about with the other chicks?
    Are they going to puton an Easter special 'Eggstravanaza..?

    Lots of fun this Denise,
    Di.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. hehhehe...cute! Check out my ABC Wednesday entry too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. go, Ernest! What a handsome devil.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.