Pages

Tuesday, January 4

Y is for Yorkshire

 

Flag of Yorkshire

 

  Yorkshire in England

Yorkshire is a historic county of northern England and the largest in the United Kingdom.Because of its great size in comparison to other English counties, functions have been increasingly undertaken over time by its subdivisions, which have also been subject to periodic reform. Throughout these changes, Yorkshire has continued to be recognised as a geographical territory and cultural region The name is familiar and well understood across the United Kingdom and is in common use in the media and the military, and also features in the titles of current areas of civil administration, such as Yorkshire and the Humber and West Yorkshire.

Within the borders of the historic county of Yorkshire are areas which are widely considered to be among the greenest in England, due to the vast stretches of unspoiled countryside in the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors and to the open aspect of some of the major cities. Yorkshire has sometimes been nicknamed God's Own County.[ The emblem of Yorkshire is the white rose of the English royal House of York, and the most commonly used flag representative of Yorkshire is the White Rose on a dark blue background, which after years of use, was recognised by the Flag Institute on 29 July 2008. Yorkshire Day, held on 1 August, is a celebration of the general culture of Yorkshire, ranging from its history to its own dialect.

I was born in North Yorkshire and although I spent 10 years in Nottingham, I returned in 1986 when my Dad died. I love the yorkshire scenery, people and dry sense of humour so I thought for ABC Wednesday  I would share some yorkshire fun!

 

Yorkshire people are a very particular breed: they can be dour, they speak their minds and they are hard working, friendly and kind. Yorkshire people refer to their county as 'God's own county,' and indeed can boast some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain.

Yorkshire man takes his cat to the vet.
Yorkshireman: Ayup, lad, I need to talk to thee about me cat.
Vet: Is it a tom?
Yorkshireman: Nay, I've browt it with us.

A Yorkshireman's dog dies and as it was a favourite pet he decides to have a gold statue made by a jeweller to remember the dog by.
Yorkshireman: Can tha mek us a gold statue of yon dog?
Jeweller: Do you want it 18 carat?
Yorkshireman: No I want it chewin' a bone yer daft beggar.

A Yorkshireman's wife dies and the widower decides that her headstone should have the words "she were thine" engraved on it. He calls the stone mason, who assures him that the headstone will be ready a few days after the funeral. True to his word the stone mason calls the widower to say that the headstone is ready and would he like to come and have a look.
When the widower gets there he takes one look at the stone to see that it's been engraved "she were thin".
He explodes, 'Blimey man, you've left the "e" out.'
The stone mason apologises and assures the poor widower that it will be rectified the following morning. Next day comes and the widower returns to the stone mason, 'There you go sir, I've put the "e" on the stone for you.'
The widower looks at the stone and then reads out aloud, 'E, she were thin.'

35 comments:

  1. Oh Denise! What a wonderful post for me to read first thing in the morning! I can hardly wait to come visit and have you show me around Yorkshire. It took me a minute to "get" the jokes, but they sure remind me of that TV series "All Creatures Great and Small" which I always enjoyed so much. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HMMM for those who love to travel *** like us ***this post is a wonderful inspiration!I hope to visit YOUR Yorkshire someday!
    Thanks for all information and funny story.
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous, interesting post for the Y Day, Denise! I would love to visit there, too! Hope your new year/week are both off to a great start! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting! Years ago, my BIL worked in Pickering and we visited York, while staying with him. I was certainly impressed with the wild countryside.
    Looking at the map, I was reminded how far apart are our counties and yet, here we are, in each others homes most days :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Leslie, Yorkshire makes me think immediately of James Herriot who did a great job in describing his love for Yorkshire. Good choice for Y :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that last bit has me in stitches. "E, she were thin"!!
    Wonderful.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. An obvious choice :-)
    I had to struggle a bit with the jokes - but I got there in the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your sense of humor Denise. You gave me a good morning smile today.
    Yorkshire sounds wonderful. Really wish I could see it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When researching his family tree MWM found he was descended from Yorkshire folk. He was surprised as he always thought all his ancestors were from Lancashire. :0

    ReplyDelete
  10. What, no pudding?! I wanted pudding, Caped Crusader!
    But good post!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm like Roger, I thought it was going to be about pudding... I found this interesting reading and a few chuckles as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to learn that there is more to Yorkshire that terriers and pudding

    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tha gave me a reet good laugh. Thanks Denise. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun post. I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your blog, - especially the last story. We had a friend who was a Yorkshire lass and did Knees up Mother Brown with great exuberance.
    Charles has a great fondness for Yorkshire as well, because of his involvement there during the Second World War with the RAF (to which he was seconded from the RCAF)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post about Yorkshire. have been to scotland and London, but did not travel through England. Will have to someday!
    Loved the jokes - I needed a chuckle tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what about your famous yorkshire pudding? How often do you eat that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'E, she were thin' ... absolutely brilliant. Thanks for giving me a morning laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ad a reit larf at them there jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No better place in the world Denise - east, west, home's best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mrs. N, thank you so much for giving the spotlight to Yorkshire. A good friend here in Michigan is in exile from her Yorkshire home!
    HelenMac, ABC team

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't that area where all the vet books (All Creatures Great and Small, etc.) were set?
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a very interesting finding for Y ! I have been so many times in England but not farer than London and the South East coast ! My son lived for 10 years in London.
    It must be very beautiful up there !

    ReplyDelete
  24. E...,ah laughed me 'ead off, lass!
    'Appy New Year tothee.

    LvMrs.GH

    ReplyDelete
  25. I shall be talking Yorkshire all night now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great county with wonderful scenery. I was going to do it for Y but then realised that apart from an odd day out I hadn't been there for any length of time for about 3 years.
    Having heard a lot of Geoffrey Boycott recently I can't resisting repeating the saying "You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't him much". LOL. Best wishes from the red rose county.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really funny jokes.
    I truly enjoyed this informative post. Didn't realise that Yorkshire was the largest county! Course you are supposed to be my enemy as I was born in Lancashire! (However, it was changed to Cheshire, so I guess you are let off!)
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd like to see "God's country" one day and see if it looks like the "God's country" that the townspeople in a nearby town say they in. :-) I thoroughly enjoyed your post on your region.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brilliant, Yorkshire is t'tops - but we know that don't we ;)
    Twiggyx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for making me LOL before breakfast! I loved the last one especially : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi lovely blog my first visit. Loved looking at Y for Yorkshire my home county - sth yorks - the last paragraph made me chuckle my late dad used to tell us this tale quite regularly it always made us laugh but not as much as he made himself laugh. Ah happy memories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.