Pages

Sunday, February 10

The vending machine says NO!

 
Posted by Picasa
Yesterday we had a tootle over to B&Q Stockton. As previously mentioned the Nesbitt DIY project is back in fashion and Jon is refitting the fitted wardrobes. Obviously designed for the average 8 foot giant the top part left me straining on my tiptoes to hang anything on the rails or access the upper shelves. Jon has designed a shelving solution which will allow me to use all of the space.......tidy bedroom on the agenda!

Saturday nights are one of our favourite nights of the week and we often have a special meal. Last night I was cooking Steak Diane and whilst I  didn't want to spoil my appetite,  when I spotted some of my favourite sweets in the vending machine I decided they would curb my hunger pang. Jon had wanted a bottle of juice his favourite being Orange Luckozade. Seeing the favoured juice in the vending machine I pressed the appropriate code only to be informed it was sold out. I was looking at a row of the favourite drink but each time I typed in the code the same message came onto the display. I did try to catch the machine out by random code pressing at different speeds but no joy. After a few minutes of frustration I went for a bottle of Oasis. Having sorted (sort of ) Jon's request for his second favourite choice of juice I moved to the next vending machine - sweets and sanacks.

The sweets were 70p. I had used all my change on Jon's juice so asked the checkout assistant if he could change my coins. He pointed out he was not allowed to do this. I did point out it was rather silly to have a vending machine next to the checkouts if no change woukd be given. I rummaged through my pockets and managed to find 50p, 10p and 2 5p coins. Hurray!
I put the coins in only to have the 5p coins rejected - several times despite the information clearly stating 5p coins were acceptable. I returned to helpful salesman of the year and asked him if he woulkd exchange 2 5p coins for a 10p coin, pointing out this was technically different from him giving me change for the vending machine.....I just wanted to minimise the amount of 5p coins in my purse. He did so and yes I did detect a smile brimming up on his little face.

Returning to the vending machine I inserted the coin and pressed the appropriate code - I think it was D3. The machine whirred into action and my sweets moved forward.......and promptly stopped. Yes the machine was jammed. I had paid 70p and no sweeties.

Returning to my new best friend it didn't surprise me when he said that the machines were nothing to do with B&Q but he would give the machine a slap. He did so - nothing. The machine was very heavy but he did do his best to resolve the situation and what a strong chappie he was too. Sadly to no avail. By this time we had struck up quite a rapor and we were both seeing the funny side of my predicament but as I explained to him it would appear that I was not meant to have the sweets and in any case I was on a diet.

Returning to our van Jon drank his juice and we returned home where Jon carried on with the wardrobe project and later we had the Steak Diane and mighty fine it was too.

He is continuing today and it looks as though my wardrobes will be fully fitted out later this afternoon. I can then lift all the clothes back in and being the sad blogger I am I will even take photographs and share here. The question is....should I organise the clothes according to their colour, material or type?

Watch this space.....well the wardrobe space! lol!

18 comments:

  1. very funny about the vending machine, the universe obviously didn't want you to eat sweets! But it is frustrating too!
    Do please, please take photos of the new wardrobe; you're blessed that Jon is so handy, and a quick worker too. Here, we have to hire handymen for jobs much smaller than that, and it's hard to get somebody reliable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi I am truly blessed to be married to an engineer. His basic nature is to fix things - find out why things are broken and sort out. He is gifted and I am blessed. The only handymen we get in are plasterers and tilers as Jon despises both.

      Delete
  2. I colour section my clothes,then all short sleeve blouses together,then three quarter sleeve,then long sleeve.
    Skirts..season..then divided into colours and length.
    Dresses by season and colour.
    What I'm really saying,is that I need to get out more!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane - you do get out dear - you make hilarious videos remember! lol!

      Delete
  3. Every Winter and every Spring Denise, I reorganise my wardrobe. I do it by outfits. I put trousers, blouse/shirt/T shirt, jacket all on one hanger, so that if I wish to go out in a hurry I can grab a complete outfit. It works very well for a few weeks until I begin to get them all mixed up again. along comes the next season and we start again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the encouragement I need Pat! Jon is just finishing off and then I will begin the great reorganisation task!

      Delete
  4. I have a smallish walk in. One side is divided by a small cubicle down he middle. One side has shirts and they are done by a basic color separation white, black, colors and the other side has pants and jackets.
    On the other wall it is the nice tee type shirts hanging and cubicle with jeans and pants I fold and shawls. I have shoe racks and the laundry bin below. Purses on a shelve above.
    I don't have lots of clothes but have lots of fun stuff to look at, jewelery and a comfy bench.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have wet my appetite to get in there and sort AP. The glue was drying so Jon said I had to leave it unril tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Maybe you should thank that vending machine! lol I organize with pants in front and then the tops to the side. Sweaters are in drawers because I fold them gently to keep them from getting creases or shoulder pointy things (they get them from the hangars). Dresses and skirts are way off to the edges because they are seldom worn. Sounds like your wardrobe is going to be great...can hardly wait to see the photos...sadly! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try http://www.athriftymrs.com/2013/02/how-to-organise-your-clothes-in-one-day.html for tips about organising your wardrobe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You weren't meant to have those sweets, were you? I feel very lacking in the wardrobe department now, I just shove all my clothes in, no organisation whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same Jo. Yes I tend to do the same but know I have to sort out, the majority of my clothes come from charity shops and are real bargains. I need to know what I have rather than wear the ame clothes every day.

      Delete
  8. You store has a silly rule re the vending machine change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once had the same thing happen to my intended snack from a vending machine at a hospital & was told the same thing.It was nothing to do with them! I was really hungry and the cafe was shut. Just had to put up with it for hours.

    You will know what to do with the clothing in the wardrobe when you fill it. Go by gut feelings.
    Looking forward to photos.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos will be up in a matter of days Maggie xxxxx
      As for the incident with the vending machine in the hospital - dreadful. Whatever happened to man's basic compassion eh?

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.