Pages

Tuesday, November 23

Softly Softly!

1675

Snow has been mentioned on the weather forecast – by the weekend it would seem. This is not such good news after days of constant raining. We haven’t been far at all – choosing to enjoy the warmth and comfort of home. The nights are dark so much earlier and the hens are often in for the night by 4pm. We have to ensure we have sufficient oil to keep the central heating going and we are stocked up with coal for the AGA.

I don’t really mind the bad weather – as long as I do not have to venture very far! If it does snow I will be out and about with my camera. We are surrounded by farmers and we see them preparing their land and animals for the cold spell. Animals seem to have their own inbuilt weather forecast system! We know that if Ella comes inside after a quick “necessity” visit round the garden – that the weather is going to be cold and she will be inside until nature calls again!

I love reading and catching up with news whilst keeping warm and I came across one of my favourite poems – guaranteed to warm the cockles of your heart!

Nod, by Walter de la Mare, 1873-1956

Softly along the road of evening,
In a twilight dim with rose,
Wrinkled with age, and drenched with dew,
Old Nod the shepherd goes.
His drowsy flock streams on before him,
Their fleeces charged with gold,
To where the sun's last beam leans low
On Nod the the shepherds fold.
The hedge is quick and green with brier,
From their sand the conies creep;
And all the birds that fly in heaven
Flock singing home to sleep.
His lambs outnumber a noon's roses,
Yet, when night shadows fall,
His blind old sheep-dog, Slumber-soon,
Misses not one of all.
His are the quiet steps of dreamland,
The waters of no more pain,
His ram's bell rings 'neath an arch of stars,
"Rest, Rest, and rest again."

29 comments:

  1. What a nice poem. My dogs must be the only people looking forward to the snow LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Kath - I feel cold at the very thought! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really harsh weather which we do not have here at all!! Looks like it is rest, rest and more restful times indoors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, love that first snowfall. But then, I live in a very warm, sheltered, place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such beauty! Wonderful poem and story to match this photo. Stay warm and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture reminds me of a painting by Bruegel the Elder. I didn't know the poem, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we're in for snow showers here too this week. Great image and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely words! We had snow yesterday and temps in the teens! Great post as always! Hope your week is going well, Denise! Thanks as always for the weekly alphabet fun!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great poem and take on the letter S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely poem and the picture of the farmer and his sheep in their winter coats looks like a Christmas card. Perfect choice for the letter S.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had for some days some weeks ago, but it left. Now it is only cold...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Please I don't want to hear the S word Snow, I'm not ready for it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snow has been promised by us too. I am sure you will get some great photos if it does snow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have snow forecast for Thursday, which is Thanksgiving, into Friday. BOO!
    Love the photo. Take good care,
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We hardly ever get the white stuff here, but even we might be due for some. Lovely to photograph, but better to be snuggled up inside.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Snow struck here along with bitter cold and biting wind. The temp has risen to 6 today but not expected to get up to 0 tomorrow. Brrrrr! Lovely poem, for sure - Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not looking forward to the cold. Roll on S for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, one good thing about snow is it is fun to take photos of!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have snow here, although it is brilliant sunny today - but ccccold! I hate being cold and can't seem to get toasty warm these days. Can hardly wait to see it RAIN! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. No snow here, just lots of sunshine and intermittent showers.Greetings from the sunny island of Singapore :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, farmers preparing for the season. No matter where, we country people see that. God bless the farmers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That poem took me back to my childhood because I had to learn it. I liked it though and many of his other poems.
    As for snow, I really hope we don't get any. Looks lovely on postcards.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  23. The picture raises memories of our days with sheep, and I love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the pie and mash offer! Thing is - when we go to Scarborough we HAVE to have fish and chips. Living in the Midlands makes it difficult to find any decent ones near home. They just don't know how to do it and refuse to turn up the heat high enough to cook the batter through. So it's either Seamer Chippie or the Harbour View Cafe!
    Mind you we had a great steak pie in the Ivy House for Sunday lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's definitely gone a lot colder!

    I don't mind if it snows now I'm retired because I can just turn over in bed! LOL

    I love that photo Denise, is it one of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking at your picture I took out my winter coat, I started to freeze ! They announced snow for Friday here in Belgium, that's quiet unusual it's too early.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great shot - the sheep look warmer than the farmer!
    I can so relate to you wanting to be indoors! Snow is in our forecast as well - at least it hasn't been like out west (yet!).
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mummy likes the wun by Robert Frost abowt stopping by woods on a snowy eevning.

    No snow or rayne heer. Granny is worreed abowt it. Mummy is worreed that Granny will slip an fall. AN I am worreed thare won't be enuff for a snowbear. It shuddent com this week it shud wayte a munth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The photo is by one of my favourite photographers, and may not be as old as you think it is!
    http://uphilldowndale.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/by-coincidence/

    Beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.