Pages

Tuesday, August 19

F is for Front Garden/lawn

The front part of our garden is my next task! On Sunday after asking questions and reading up on the matter it became apparent that our ornamental cherry tree is dead. I can't remember if there were any leaves on it last year, but there aren't any this year and the branches keep snapping off in the wind. The blue tits nest here every year so we'll have to think of something to replace it. The lifespan of such a tree would appear to be between 20 and 25 years. I have seen 1950's photographs of the front garden and bold as brass is a young ornamental cherry tree - so I think it has done well. Jon will be dealing with it - logs etc but we need to think about the blue tits.
 
 
 
Looking out from the kitchen window in the middle of the front hedge is where the original gate was to the house. Our house is an ex-police house so the gate would lead visitors to the police office situated at the back of the house - now part of our lounge.
 
 
 
We had the turf laid to make it more lawn mower friendly.
 

Jon made the bird bath for mum. This area is now one I am making into a little piece of paradise for bird visitors. We aren't sure what the "trees" are but they are an ideal place to hang feeders etc. Notice Eva making an appearance!
 
 
 
The pond at the far right of the photograph is a project all to itself. Originally we had it built for the geese. It's a sloping gradient to a depth of about 50cm. I have been doing my research about ponds and thanks to an Alan Titmarsh programme I found out we don't need a pump, self oxygenating plants will keep the water clear and we will add various plants. I am experimenting with a small pond idea in a little barrel. All seem to be getting along fine. I'll keep a close look out and if all continues well we will use these plants in the large pond.
 
 
 

 
In front of the bird interest area is the area where the gate was and this is what I want to transform.
 





The borders want sorting too - I am going to be very busy.
 


 
 
To the left of the area is a holly "tree". It was the same height as the hedge some 23 years ago but as the birds love it so much we have allowed it to grow. 
 
I am not sure how long this is going to take me - but I am on the case. Being realistic I may have something to share by the letter L...could be "L for Look at this then!"

Watch this space!
My F take on the ABC of the Nesbitt garden projects!

34 comments:

  1. You seem to be getting there. I like what you've done to the bird interest area. I look forward to more posts about your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are now in the snug - which overlooks the bird feeding area so it's a priority.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Fabulous F compliment Roger! You New York librarian! lol!

      Delete
  3. Such a shame about your cherry tree. It will be fun looking for something to replace it with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem a few have met their fate this year Jo - see Weaver's comment.

      Delete
  4. You are ambitious to tackle so much in one year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foolish may be a better word! lol Fun though.

      Delete
  5. By coincidence we have an ornamental cherry which had died this year Denise. I think you just have to be ruthless and chop them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so dry Pat Jon saws a branch off (or snaps one off) saws it into logs and puts straight onto the Rayburn - it's burning beautifully.

      Delete
  6. You live in a "Heartbeat House"!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - built in 1956! Great year for solid reliable structures! lol!

      Delete
  7. When you've finished your front garden, please come and do mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did enjoy looking round!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The water in the barrel is very clear, that's a good sign.
    Looking forward to 'L'!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes agree - have kept the labels on so can duplicate when we do the large pond. Fancy a water lily or two.

      Delete
  10. Oh good luck to you. Our garden is in such a big need of serious work, lots of energy, money and time needed on it but at least yours is neat to start with.....and not half way up a hill! I will be interested in the progress you make. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn - yes we've come a long way since the concrete path from the gate to the side of the house - we forget that.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Hildred - some informative sales assistants in our local garden centre helped me.

      Delete
  12. wonderful to have so much green grass in your lawn.

    ABC WEDNESDAY

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're doing a fantastic job!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you let the holly grow for the birdies...nice work♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/firefly/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noticed a lot of berries on it yesterday - green at the moment - wonder if they'll make it to the red stage?

      Delete
  15. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead! But I can wait for "L" to come and Look how good you've done. I also want to see how your pound will turn out. Sorry about your cherry tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worked very hard this week - the hot baths have been frequent! Raining today so having a break!

      Delete
  16. You have such a great front gardenlawn. So much green everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mrs. N, I am so sorry about your ornamental tree dying. You are kind to think of the nesting birds, and your property looks gorgeous already! I know about the hot baths/compresses after gardening. Seems like once I hit 50, my osteoarthritis flare in my hips. Yikes! Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.