Pages

Monday, September 21

Update on Chickens!

There was some excitement in the chicken enclosure a few days ago...
Somehow they decided to spend the afternoon on the roof
of what will be their new home in a few weeks time!



Here you can see mabel on the left.
She is the one who has a rebellious side to her nature!
She was the one who managed to find her way out of the fenced area
and spent the morning strutting after Jo the gander!





The white speckled one is Margie,
the brown one to her right is Olwyn.




They continue to eat well, layers pellets, wheat etc but they are particularly fond of elderberries!

I managed to video a whole 16 seconds before my camera packed in!





Notice too the 2 light brown ones.
The larger is May and the small one is Eva,
as in Little Eva!


I think I could turn and live with animals,
they are so placid and self-contained,
I stand and look at them long and long,
They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things.
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that liveth thousands of years ago,
Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth.

Walt Whitman


Yes, a very important part of my world.


10 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment for you folks is there! Kath... ps... I posted my Autumn cards today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, they do look like happy Chicks! What fun shots! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I wish I could raise chicken in my suburban backyard :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post and verse. Don't they know they would be safer in the fenced area. My neighbor has chickens and one day she heard them making a lot of noise. When she went outside she saw two Great Horned Owls were trying to fly off with her one of her chickens.
    What a sight that must have been! Thanks for sharing your photos and story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely shots and lilting verse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice words. And lovely hens. I currently have 32 Isa Browns and love all of them. But I just call them all, "Mrs Hen".

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice words and photos. I hope you had a great time in France.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post My wife says no chickens in our backyard I keep trying

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely chicks, remind me of the ones I kept when I lived in Malawi.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.