Red Pepper and Broadbean Quiche
My cookery challenge continues and this week I am sharing a new vegetarian recipe. There is a true link to reality with this quiche as on Saturday we are having friends round for supper and one is a vegetarian so this was the reason for my choice!
Takes 20 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes in the oven, plus chilling, freezing and cooling
• 200g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
• 100g Lurpak Lighter Spread
• 3 medium eggs
• 200ml reduced-fat crème fraîche
• 40g vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated
• Handful fresh chivess, plus extra sprigs to garnish
• 250g freshly podded broad beans ( I will be using frozen ones)
• 280g jar roasted red peppers in oil, drained and roughly chopped
1. Place the flour in a bowl and add the Lurpak spread. Rub in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add 2 tablespoons cold water and work the mixture into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm round x 3cm deep loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin – press into the tin if you find this easier. Prick the base several times with a fork and pop in the freezer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line the pastry with baking paper and baking beans and blind-bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the pastry is dry and pale golden.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, crème fraîche and Parmesan. Stir in the thyme, broad beans and red peppers and season with plenty of black pepper. Pour into the pastry case and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is just set and pale golden. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then put on a serving plate.
5. Garnish with chives, slice and serve with a salad, if you like.
Once again I find I have only managed one blog entry this week, this is because life is busy and we are going to the Isle of Man on June 4th for our annual TT visit so lots to do and I have 2 wedding commissions on too!
No rest for the wicked! lol!