When we have friends round I do not like to be stuck in the kitchen at any part of the evening, I like to be amongst my friends having fun!
I tend not to do fiddly food but more of the "Help Yourself" type of dishes.
Paella is a great way to use up any fish, sausage or chicken from the fridge.
Ingrediants are not cast in stone just a great one to cook in advance and eat with bread!
120 ml (8 tbsp) oil
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
275 g (10 oz) long-grain rice
salt and freshly ground pepper
600 ml (1 pt) chicken stock
1 red pepper, seeded
1 green pepper, seeded
225 g (8 oz) white fish, boned
150 ml (1/4 pt) white wine
1 bay leaf
4 - 8 chicken pieces
100 g (4 oz) peeled prawns
Left over spicy sausage
7 g (1 tbsp) parsley, chopped
1.Heat three quarters of the oil in a large frying pan or casserole.
2. Over a low heat cook the onions until they become translucent. Add the garlic.
3. Gradually add the rice and stir around in the onions and oil until the grains are coated with oil.
4. Add seasoning and turmeric to the hot stock and pour on the rice gradually, stirring as the rice is brought to the boil. Cover with a lid or with foil, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile dice the green and red peppers and blanch for 1 minute in boiling water.
6. Poach the white fish in water with a little of the wine and the bay leaf for about 5 minutes.
7. Fry the chicken in another pan in the remaining oil until golden brown and cooked through.
8. Remove the lid from the rice and separate the grains with a fork. Stirring gently, add the peppers, the white fish, prawns, about 150 ml (1/4 pt) fish stock and then add the chicken and stir in sliced spicy sausage.
Cover and cook until rice is separate and liquid is absorbed.