Pages

Tuesday, January 20

B is for Bang! Big bang.

One thing I use my blog for is a point of reference. A few weeks ago we were sitting in the snug when there was an almighty BANG from the kitchen, blowing the tripper switch in the fusebox. When we went into the kitchen there was a horrible smell coming from the laundry cupboard - from the washing machine. Jon asked me how old it was - by looking on my blog  Here I was able to tell him it was just under 3 years old. The problem was inside the motor - the commutator to be precise (Jon's analysis not mine!) Jon fixed it but it was a temporary measure. Whilst we paid £169 for the washer a new motor would be £120 but the motor was a cheap inferior one. Trouble with a motor malfunction is that it can cause a fire. We decided to look in the sales and go for a Hotpoint. We were pleased with £229 - a mere difference of around £60 but with 10 years parts warranty we felt this was a good buy. Jon is familiar with Hotpoint but let's hope it wont come to that.

It is very quiet!

ABC Wednesday - B for Bang!
For more fun visit the ABC Blog - click on the link at the top of my sidebar.

18 comments:

  1. Glad your machine didn't cause a major fire! Enjoy the new one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never go out leaving the washing machine working. Most of my friends think I am strange but I always remember the day when the woman across the road from me left hers on and it caught fire. Luckily her teenage children were home and called the fire brigade. Hope the new one lasts you a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I use my BLOG for reference all the time!
    BUMMER about the machine, though...

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, that's not a noise you want to hear. Hope you get no bangs with the bucks you spent on this one. It's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, my blog is quickly becoming my memory! We recently replaced our dryer when it suddenly stopped working. I was worried about it causing fires, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely made the right decision to go for a new machine. It just isn't worth the risk of a house fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I hate it when things like that happen! Glad you found a replacement ok, I have had hotpoints, the last one managed 13yrs and 2 house moves so fingers crossed my current one and yours will do as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you didn't have a fire to cope with! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful new one though. Too bad your last one only made it 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today repairs cost often more than a new machine ! I think you took the right decision !
    (http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. We most of the time buy new appliances instead of hiring someone to repair, most of the time that is more expensive. Thankfully i am blessed with a very very handy husband ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use my blog as a reference point, too. Who knew they could come in handy that way. lol
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  13. last night, I was wanting to make the sound of guns, and thought of Bang! I have never used a front loader. is it better than a top loader?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly made the right decision to buy a new machine Denise, we had a similar problem with our old one, which was a 10 year old , would you BELIEVE......Hotpoint,
    With three fussy teenager daughters then, the machine was never off, so, I reckon that was a good machine, and with only the two of you to wash for your new Hotpoint should last even longer!
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've printed my blog posts now for 5 years and I'm always going to look up something. Hope your new machine is a great one.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use my blog similarly! How would we remember anything otherwise?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.